Give this recipe a try. You braise a big hunk of pork in milk and orange juice all day until it falls apart, then throw it into a hot, hot oven to brown and sweeten. Pile it on a tortilla and top with avocado, cilantro and lime. I made this in my slow cooker and was able to throw it all together before work. Love.
Adapted from City Palate, serves 4
1.5-2lbs pork roast (loin, shoulder, whatever) ($4.50)
2 oranges ($1)
1 1/2 cups 2% or whole milk ($.50)
1-2 T honey ($0.55)
1 tsp dried orange zest ($.05)
1 tsp chipotle powder ($.05)
1-2 tsp coriander powder ($.03)
1-2 tsp cumin powder ($.03)
1 tsp smoked paprika ($.05)
salt and pepper
1. Get an oven proof dish or dutch oven hot on the stove over medium-high heat. If you’re using a slow cooker and you can put your slow cooker dish on the stove top, use it now! Drizzle a bit of oil into the dish, cut the pork into 3 or 4 chunks and add it to the pot. Brown on all sides and remove from the heat.
2. Quarter 1 orange – squeeze the juice over the pork and throw the rinds right into the baking dish. Add some fresh zest from your other orange, the milk, honey and all the spices. Then add enough water to nearly cover the meat.
3. It’s time to cook. For the slow cooker: cover and cook on high for 7 1/2 hours. For the oven: cover and bake at 300F for 3 hours.
4. Once the pork is cooked, pull the meat apart. I was able to bust it up with a wooden spoon. If you were using the slow cooker, you’ll have to move to the oven now. Heat the oven to 400F and roast the meat uncovered until most of the liquid is gone and the meat starts to brown and crisp on the edges (it will take 20-40 minutes, depending on your meat to liquid ratio).
5. Serve on corn tortillas with avocado, cilantro, onion and salsa.
Hope you love it!
*The total cost of this recipe was $6.76, a per plate cost of $1.69.